A healthier baba ganoush! In just a few minutes and with only a handful of ingredients, you will have a delicious aubergine dip containing a power combination of nutrients which can help protect your body against the effects of cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological disease.
Though similar to baba ganoush, this dish contains more good fat thanks to cashew nuts, which are also an excellent source of minerals including selenium and copper. Copper plays a role in a wide range of physiological processes including iron utilization, elimination of free radicals, as well as development of bone and connective tissue. The miso paste provides a good source of probiotics. Aubergine is well known for being very low in calories and fat, but rich in soluble fiber and also contains significant levels of B-complex vitamins such as B6, B5, B1 and B3, which are essential for our metabolism. Lastly, this recipe is a good source of calcium. Now let’s get blending!
Serving Size: 300ml
1 tsp brown miso paste
1 big garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp lemon juice
60ml olive oil
90ml filtered or still water
½ tsp Himalayan salt
Ground black pepper
30g ground cashew nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 200C , mark gas 6.
2. Wash the aubergine and cut them in half lengthways. Place on a baking tray and bake in for about 15min, until the skin is charred and blackened and the flesh feels soft when you press it. Take out of the oven and set aside to cool.
3. Once the aubergine is chilled, chop it roughly.
4. In a high speed blender, add the aubergine pieces, brown miso paste, garlic, sweet paprika, lemon juice, olive oil, water, salt, black pepper and blend well.
5. Next add the ground cashew nuts and blend again. The consistency will be very soft but not too runny. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Place it in a sterilized clear jars, pour some olive oil on top, seal tightly and put in the fridge.
Notes: Stays fresh up to 5 days if kept refrigerated.
Allergy advice: Nuts
Source: Patricia Nunes – Natural Chef in Training